- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable, canola or peanut oil
- 4 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 4 teaspoons water
- 1/2 cup lightly packed Thai basil or sweet basil leaves
- 1 cup roasted cashews
- 1 fresh jalapeno chili, thinly sliced into rings (optional)
- 4 Tablespoons lager-style beer, like Tsingtao
- 2 Tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper (or black pepper)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoon lager-style beer, like Tsingtao
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoon fish sauce (or add an additional 3 teaspoons soy sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1. Combine the marinade ingredients in a bowl. Add the chicken and stir to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
2. Combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Place a wok or wide sauté pan over high heat until hot. Add the oil, swirling to coat the sides. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add the chicken and asparagus and cook, stirring constantly until the chicken is no longer pink, about 2 minutes. Add the sauce and bring to boil. Add the cornstarch solution and cook, stirring, until sauce thickens, about 1 minute. Remove pan from heat and stir in jalapeno chili, basil leaves and cashews.