Today I cooked Spicy Mulligatawny: difficult to pronounce, but tasty to eat. I was looking for a stew, but was swept off my feet by the curry and apple in the ingredients.
As it turns out, spicy mulligatawny isn’t a good meal by itself. Not enough protein. Tonight Holly grilled up some chicken sausage to go with it. We had hot dog buns, but a tasty sourdough bread would be an excellent addition.
- 2 Tablespoons Canola Oil, divided
- 1 lb. skinless, boneless, chicken breast
- 2 (medium size) peeled, chopped Gala or Braeburn apples
- 1 1/2 C chopped onion
- 1 C chopped carrot
- 1 C chopped celery
- 1 C chopped green bell pepper
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons curry
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 (14 oz) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 C mango chutney
- 1/2 C tomato paste
- chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan over medium heat. Add chicken, saute 3 minutes. Remove from pan; set aside.
- Heat remainder of oil (1 Tablespoon, 1 teaspoon) in pan. Add apple and next 4 ingredients and saute for five minutes. Stir in flour and next 4 ingredients and cook for 1 minute. Stir in broth, chutney, and tomato paste; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer 8 minutes. Return chicken to pan, cook 2 minutes or until mixture is thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired. Yield: 8 servings (serving size 1 1/4 Cups)
Calories: 242 (20% from fat); Fat: 5.4 grams; Protein: 16.6 g; Carbs: 33 g; Fiber: 3.3g; Chol: 31mg; Recipe adapted from Cooking Light.