My kids love the gumbo.
Last time I made it, I used okra for the first time and nobody complained. If you can’t find okra, frozen green beans are a family favorite. I rarely have time to grill the chicken before, so I either buy already grilled at the deli (expensive) or I cut up the chicken and blanch it in chicken or vegetable stock.
Gumbo is great the next day for lunches.
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Cups chopped onion
- 2 Cups chopped green bell pepper
- 2 Cups frozen cut okra (omit if not available and use 2 C of carrots OR frozen green beans)
- 2 Cups chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 4 Cups chopped roasted skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 4 breasts)
- 16 oz. turkey kielbasa, cut into pieces
- 2 (14 1/2 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 4 Cups cooked brown rice
Combine flour and oil in a Dutch oven; sauté over medium-high heat for 3 minutes.
Add onion and the next 6 ingredients (onion through ground red pepper); cook 3 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
Stir in chicken, kielbasa, tomatoes and broth; cook 6 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve over rice. Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups gumbo and 1/2 cup rice)
CALORIES 369; FAT 11.3g; PROTEIN 24.9g; FIBER 3g; CARBOHYDRATE 37g